Thursday, November 1, 2007

So it begins...

The whole military wife thing is really starting to sink in these days. I honestly would not have imagined my being at this point a year ago and thus, the whole thing has been an absolutely beautiful, yet completely terrifying and messy whirlwind. Although that is incredibly true, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It's been a mere 4 months since Rich and I got married and it's already been a wild ride.
For those of you who don't know, I am not currently with him. He is currently stationed at Laughlin Air Force Base in Texas and I am stuck in purgatory here in North Carolina while finishing up my last semester of school (I think it's down to 49 days now until graduation). This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, but I am living proof that it can be done. For the past 7 months, I've been visiting him about every month or so in Texas and let me tell you, the whole traveling so often thing...it's TOTALLY OVERRATED. There's nothing quite like many times of lost luggage, delayed flights and the dreaded missed flights. Once I get to Texas in December, I swear I'm not flying until I have to.
Although flying has been a consistent pain in the rear, the experiences that I've had during my visits have been priceless. Throughout these visits, I've been consistently reminded of how green I am at the whole "military wife thing". One of these instances occurred during one of my first visits when I embarassed myself by not stopping the car when Retreat sounded at the 5 0'clock hour or that you tip the bag boy at the commissary. As a former civilian, these things never really occurred to me before.
In later news, In mid-october, Rich (who is in UPT) finally tracked to the T-1. Apparently, he likes it, but seems to get frustrated by the differences between the T-6 (which only you fly and you don't have to worry about anyone else) and the T-1 (you have a co-pilot). So his sim yesterday was frustrating, but I have no doubt that eventually he'll get it figured out and will adjust just fine.
I'm counting down the days to moving and have even starting packing up some things to send down to him beforehand. The time is finally winding down and I never thought it'd get here.

It's so obvious that I have so much to learn....

No comments: